Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:35:05 -0600
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        rand@meridian-enviro.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, bryanh@meridian-enviro.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware problems

Doug> We are having an interesting problem with a new 3ware (Escalade 6400)
Doug> controller. We have 4 75GB IBM DTLA disks configured in a RAID 1+0
Doug> array.

Doug> Does anybody have any ideas for us?

Mike> Not until you tell us which version of FreeBSD you're
Mike> running. 8)

Sigh, I knew I'd forget something.   :)

We are running 4.2-STABLE as of about a week ago.

Mike> Seriously; there is a driver/firmware interaction that can cause
Mike> this, and if you're running something older than FreeBSD 4.2,
Mike> you should upgrade.  You'll want to make sure you have the most
Mike> recent firmware on the cards, too.

As soon as we had the problem we upgraded the firmware. Here is the
revelant parts of dmesg:

twe0: <3ware Storage Controller> port 0xef60-0xef6f irq 10 at device 20.0 on pci0
twe0: 4 ports, Firmware FE6X 1.01.18.001, BIOS BEXX 1.06.00.001
twed0: <RAID10, Normal> on twe0
twed0: 146615MB (300268800 sectors)

Mike> If you've done this and you're still having problems, build the
Mike> driver with TWE_DEBUG enabled, and boot a kernel with DDB
Mike> enabled.  Then, when mysql sticks, break to DDB and say

db> call twe_report

Mike> and send me the output.

Will do. Rebuilding the kernel now.

Thanks for the *really* quick response.  :)