Date:      17 Nov 1997 08:48:18 +0100
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnu/5039: libdialog fails to resore terminal

Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk> writes:

>  Ok, usually I do the following:
>
>  1) start a clean xterm or rxvt
>  	[There's no problem with syscons, not tried console vt220]
>
>  2) rlogin <somemachine>  [same problem locally though]
>  3) Run dialog or sysinstall or something like that.
>  4) press cursor up to get my last command (zsh thing)
>  5) Find that my terminal is printing 'A' instead of giving me my
>     previous command.
>  6) type reset and then re-reverse my xterm colours.

That means that zsh (and pdksh, btw) sets the cursor keys to the
`application keypad' mode and leaving the dialog (and any other
ncurses-based) application resets to `cursor keypad' mode. This is
really annoying, just as bad as resetting the console to white on
black when you had changed the colors to black on white.

tg