Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:27:00 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup().. patch to STYLE(9) (fwd)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:55:21 EST, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Everybody's goal is to keep/make code readable (accusations of "trying
> to obfuscate" are silly). You, people, are just not agreeing what
> "readable" means. Hoping to aid in the ending of this thread(s),

Thank you very much. This is _exactly_ the point here.

As far as I see it, there are a lot of people who are saying

"I want to use parens to improve readability"

when what they really mean is

"I want to use parens to obviate the need to learn operator precedence."

I can't imagine how unnecessary parens are going to improve
"readability" for anyone who knows his/her operator precedence. What
it does is allow folks who aren't sure about what they're doing to get
around doing things properly.

Ciao,
Sheldon.