Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:00:22 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

In message <200010111905.e9BJ59X21786@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon writes:

>    There's being 'reasonable' and there's being 'unreasonable'.  This
>    type of argument doesn't wash when the reasonable thing to do, with
>    the availability of ssh, is to make things 'reasonably secure' by
>    default.  You can't ask for more, but neither should you require
>    less.  The lowest common denominator is not telnet or ftp any more.

Matt, we can make things very secure by default by not starting any
network processes and no gettys.  That way people are forced to boot
single user first time and configure their system.

While people like you seem to prefer such "perfect" solutions, others
recognize that they just *might* harm our market acceptance.

Suggest you switch to OpenBSD, I think they would be more supportive
of your approach.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe