Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2018 13:07:54 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FYI: I finally got FreeBSD 12 booted under qemu/kvm with general Ethernet access (on a MACCHIATObin running linux)

<freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Hmmmm, I never saw any program crashes on Scaleway's KVM VPS =
(ThunderX hardware), but I have awfully slow storage performance.
>>> How fast is the disk on your KVM setup?
>> I've only booted linux via a microsd card so far,
>> a Class A1 SanDisk Ultra. I've not planned on
>> putting linux on the fast media that I hope
>> to put FreeBSD on and boot from someday. As
>> stands, I do not have spare fast media for the
>> MACCHIATObin.
>=20
> Surely QEMU/KVM supports booting from bare metal hard disks (not =
files), so you could put FreeBSD on the disk you want to eventually boot =
directly from, and initially try it under KVM. I actually had a setup =
where I would boot the same FreeBSD disk on my desktop both directly on =
metal and under Hyper-V :)

I do that under Hyper-V (Windows 10 Pro) and directly. But
linux/qemu/kvm is effectively new to me and everything is
exploratory. I may get there.

> But anyway, I think you'd notice the difference even on microSD.
> The performance on the VPS is *that* bad.
>=20

At some point I may be I can run something
like:

iozone -a -a0 -a1 -a2 -e -I

for you and supply some of the output
(from a run that does not crash first).