Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:45:23 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard way of updating 6.x ?

On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:31 AM, Xn Nooby wrote:

> Is there a suggested method for updating a newly installed FreeBSD
> 6.0system?  I have found several websites with similar but differing
> methods,
> often somehow specific to the author's configuration.  What I
> usually do
> first is install from a CD and get a bare-bones system bootable.
> What I
> would like to do after that is update the kernel, system programs,
> user
> programs, and packages.  I usually end up using cvsup, portsnap, and
> portupgrade with varying levels of success.
>
> What I would really like is a fool-proof method that works
> everytime, if
> there is such a thing.  For example, rebuilding things at the
> lowest layer
> first, and working my way up.  I was following a websites tutorial
> yesterday, and was confronted with a "stale imagemagic dependency",
> where I
> chose to "force" an override.  I didn't know if I was doing some
> wrong or
> not, and it seemed to work, but I would rather not have to force
> anything,
> if possible.
>
> Previously I had posted the steps I was using, and several people made
> annotations which I was able to integrate, but I was mostly curious
> if there
> wasn't some standard way. I am trying to use portsnap, since it
> seems much
> faster than cvsup, but the handbook doesn't seem to have portsnap
> integrated
> in to the rebuild steps yet (it is in the appendix I think).
>
> There seems to be updates steps for 4.x and 5.x, but not yet 6.x,
> or maybe I
> just have found them yet.  There seems to be a lot of ways to
> update your
> system right now.

	Actually I think you're on the right track as to what method needs
to be done to update your system.

cvsup: Use for updating the ports tree and your system's source
(base, docs, info, manpages, contrib, etc stuff available in
sysinstall).
portupgrade: Use for updating your actual ports programs.

	There may be a more elegant solution though and I would be more than
happy to hear it too :).
-Garrett