Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 23:37:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Heads up!  OpenSSH is about to enter the tree.

Since it came down to making openssl actually useful for something or
taking it out of the tree, we accelerated progress somewhat on the
openssh integration work.  This is using the rsarefglue stubs I've
been talking about for the last couple of days to "abstract" rsaref
away so we don't have any RSA bundling issues.  Users can load the
appropriate rsaref package (or install the port) and openssl-using
packages like openssh will then "just work."

This work will take place in 3 stages:

1. Mark Murray will bring his openssh work into -current.

2. A lot of fur will fly around while a few things are tweaked.

3. John Polstra and others will work on integrating changes for
   the static compilation case.  Dynamic linking of rsaref works
   fine, dealing with static linking requires a bit more finesse
   and we've already worked out what we need to do for this step.

I will also be delaying -current's release date until March 10th in
order to give this more proper testing.  Yes, I know this is a rather
stunning development for a code base supposedly in code freeze, but
special situations sometimes merit special dispensation and this is
one such situation.  I think the merits of having ssh in the base
system far outweigh the risks of bringing it in right now and I'll be
fully supporting this work in a number of ways intended to minimize
those risks even further.  It's my neck and I'm sticking it out. :)

Watch this space,

- Jordan