Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 95 10:20:41 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier ROBERT)
Cc:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com, wallison@panix.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCSA Httpd 1.3 for FBSD 1.1.5.1?

> > I'm running 1.3 here. I don't recall any significant problems in getting
> > it up, but I would recommend CERN HTTPD as a higher performance platform.
> > I'm in the process of converting over.
> >
> The ability to cache documents is a very strong point in favor of
> the CERN httpd. You can have a httpd in proxy/cache mode for  en
> entire organization and save bandwidth.

Someone should note (so I will) that proxy use of the CERN httpd is
very different than using it as a server itself.  Not that you can't
do both, but I think maybe you can't do both with the same instance.

One typical proxy configuration is use of the 'term' socket tunneling
across a link, since NetScape is not source recompilable for 'term'
support.

The typical recommended usage is on a firewall machine where outgoing
connections are not allowed (perhaps without the knowledge that you
can filter incoming packets without the response bit to allow outgoing
connections without allowing incoming ones?).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.