Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 95 17:20:27 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU, bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.05R panics on boot

> >Right now the only way I can boot up FreeBSD system on the Ontrack DM
> >system is by using boot.flp and entering wd(1,a)/kernel.  This is very
> >annoying.  I have not tried and I doubt if I can access the msdos stuff
> >from FreeBSD for now.
>
> This seems to be the case that I said can't work.  Apparently wd1 doesn't
> have Ontrack on it, but Ontrack on the boot disk adjusts for all disks.

YES.

Makes perfect sense, actually.  Once you are booting BSD, the disk BSD is
on is hat it thinks the boot disk is.  It can't know the INT 13 chaining
used by the BIOS.

You could manually fix this up.

I hesistate to describe the process (so I won't) since it's rather complex
and requires a deep understanding of the boot process.  In broad strokes,
it would involve modifying the second disks partition table, installing,
modifying the installed disk label and partition table, and going from there.

If you *only* have BSD on the second drive, and are willing to blow it
away, you can get the same effect by making the BSD drive the primary
drive, installing OnTrack (assuming you have it), then installing BSD onto
what is now the first drive.

When you put ehe drive back to the second drive and put the original drive
back on, it should work.

This is complicated, but not as complicated as the geometry mathematics
required for just "fixing it up".  Hacking partitions and disklabels
is a real pain, comparatively.

The final alternative is to continue using a boot floppy to get BSD.

The DOSBOOT.COM might be more easily hacked to work -- but it depends
on if negative offsets are allowed.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---