Date:      Tue, 17 May 2011 00:32:14 -0400
From:      Matthew Pounsett <matt@conundrum.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Complicated patching

Hi.

In a (possibly foolish) attempt to add a third-party patch to an =
application I use *without* abandoning the ports tree for this app, I'm =
trying to make a local modification to the port to download and include =
the patch in the build process.  The problem I'm running into is that it =
is distributed from a source distribution site that uses a downloads CGI =
rather than a direct URL to distribution files, and the URI has nothing =
whatsoever to do with the name of the resulting file.  This, obviously, =
breaks MASTER_SITES and DISTFILES because what I have to put in =
DISTFILES doesn't match what would go in the distinfo file.

I'm poking around at possible alternatives, but nothing really stands =
out in the reading I've done.  Is this sort of thing supported by the =
ports system at all, or should I just abandon this completely and switch =
to fully manual builds?

I briefly looked at downloading the patch file, splitting it up (it =
includes several patches) and including the resulting files in =
files/patch-*.  This would be worth the work, but I'm also toying with =
eventually submitting my changes as a patch to the port with a line in =
OPTIONS to include/ignore the 3rd party patches and I can't find a way =
to wrap an ifdef around patch-* files in the Makefile, since they seem =
to be auto-discovered and acted on. =20

If anyone has any advice on how to handle this in a way that solves both =
problems, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!
   Matt Pounsett