Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 02:13:04 +0200
From:      Julian H Stacey <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org, flexfax@sgi.com
Cc:        ljo@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Success: FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development ctm 441 + hylafax-v3.0beta112

This is a joint posting to lists:
	ports@freebsd.org	&	flexfax@sgi.com
  (so please consider pruning To: line where appropriate before replying)

To say I have just got this combination working:
	Op System:	FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development src/.ctm_status = src-cur 441
	FAX package:	Hylafax-v3.0beta112
	Modem:		SupraFax V32bis (Eprom V1.200-C)
With NO Code Changes (at least, so far ...) :-)

I have sent & received faxes. I still have some things to config,
SUID stuff in particular, but it is just about working :-)

BTW
	Hylafax is the newer name for flexfax.
	hylafax-v3.0beta112 is about a year newer than
	FreeBSD/ports/comms/flexfax/work/v2.3beta036
	Both have same author (Sam Leffler) & copyright (unrestrictive :-).

For those FreeBSD folk who can't wait for me to do a standard FreeBSD package
format to replace flexfax (don't hold your breath waiting ;-), here's my
interim Working-Notes file:
(Flexfax list folk might like to glance at the problems & solutions too)
======{

PROBLEMS:
    {
    - Permissions
    	I had some problems getting it to start so did
    		chmod 666 /dev/cua01
    	I need to revert this to more secure, when I figure out how much
    	I can restrict it & still keep it working
    	SUID in this package not OK for FreeBSD, needs changing.
    - Getty line
    	I changed from
    		Command line arguments to getty program ["-h %l dx_%s"]?
    		std.%l tty%s
    	which is probably still not right (& untested) for FreeBSD,
    	but seems nearer.
    - My old flexfax cover sheet doesnt seem to work.
    	default cover components gets compiled into bin/faxcover,
    	I must investigate faxcover.ps & utils/cover.templ
    }

SOLUTIONS (& Temporary insecure horrible cludges)
    {
    mkdir ~/X ; mv ~/.bash* ~/X/
    	If you get this:
    	SOLUTIONS
    		/usr/local/bin/bash: /tmp/addmodem232:
    						Cannot clobber existing file
    	do this:
    		mkdir ~/X ; mv ~/.bash* ~/X/
    	I had something bad in my bash init files.

    chmod 777 /var/spool/fax
    	If you get:
    		console: FaxGetty[1378]: Could not create FIFO "FIFO.ttyd1".
    	do
    		cd /var/spool/fax
    		ls -al
    			drwxr-xr-x  12 root  bin      512 Apr  3 22:53 ./
    		chmod 777 .

    chmod 777 /var/spool/fax/recvq
    vi /etc/rc.local
    	before fax commands in rc.local add:
    		PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:\
			/var/spool/fax/bin
    		export PATH
    	before all this, When I was sent a fax, the modem did its stuff,
    	but I got no email to inform me of arrival,
    	(some of this is excessive, I need to do more testing)

    Run manually on every reboot: /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty -d cua01
    	as ps doesnt show it running after reboot from rc.local

    After every fax received do manually typically:
    	mv /var/spool/fax/recvq/fax000229 var/spool/fax/recvq/fax000229.mv5
    	where 229 is PID of /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty -d cua01
    	This because when my 2nd fax arrived, the modem did the normal fax
    	stuff, but I got no mail announcing it had arrived, & ls -l showed:
    		drwxrwxrwx   2 uucp  dialer   512 Apr  9 23:14 ./
    		-rw-------  1 uucp  dialer  8867 Apr  9 22:12 fax000229
    	ie the file couldnt be overwritten.
    }

HOW TO BUILD for FreeBSD:
    {
    Use archie to find a site offering fax-v3.0beta111 (don't use master site
    	sgi.com, as it's Very slow
    get the small update file from sgi.com: hylafax-v3.0beta111.patch-01.gz
    get afm-tar.gz
    extract all 3 & apply,
    ./configure
    ensure you kernel has options FIFO
    make ; make install
    run faxaddmodem cua01
    Add to /etc/rc.local:
    	/usr/local/sbin/faxq -D -m cua01
    	/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty -d -D cua01
    Add to /etc/inetd.conf:
    	fax stream tcp nowait fax /usr/local/sbin/faxd.recv faxd.recv
    Add to /etc/aliases:
    	fax:            root
    	root:		your_name
    Reboot
    man hylafax sendfax  ; faxstat -a -i
    }
}========

CONCLUSION
IT WORKS I've done some horrible temporary crude hacks at my fax security to
get it this far (which I need to sort out later), but at 01:50 Monday
morning, no one's awake for more testing, so I'm freezing my config for now,
& posting to say:
	Hooray finally Fax works on my FreeBSD - Thanks Sam Leffler (et al).
	PS thanks also to Gary J. of FreeBSD grp, for brain storming session.

Julian Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org