Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 96 12:12:03 +0200
From:      Raf Schietekat <flexus!rfschtkt@colds.ruca.ua.ac.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: After installing FreeBSD 2.1, my computer won't boot

>>>>> Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> on 1996-08-02:
Boot DOS.  Run FDISK.  Set the active partition to something.
Reboot.  Be happy.  :-)
<<<<<

Did that. Got DOS only.

Non-essential:
Today I reinstalled NT to get some work done, because NT setup's repair did
nothing. Lost a lot of configuration stuff!!! (users, those stupid
good-for-nothing program groups that you do need in the MS world). I'll still
need to reinstall Service Pack 3 (with intermediate floppy juggling!), I'll
probably have to reinstall all those programs for their program groups. Then
there's this abominable tendency of putting non-OS files inside
\winnt35-or-what-is-it: I bet I've lost those as well. Horrible.

Question (for me):
How can I boot FreeBSD from NT's NTLDR (what to put in BOOT.INI)? Should I
instead try Linux's multi-OS boot mechanism (I'm going to try that OS anyway)?

Question (for context, not really important):
Where could I find a full description of the (E)IDE/FDISK issues that led to my
problem (Greg Lehey's book for Walnut Creek is more like need-to-know, with
provisions only for some problem situations)? And of the startup sequence for a
PC?

Question (for FreeBSD):
Is it safe to install FreeBSD and leave the boot record alone (*will* it be
left alone, how will FreeBSD got booted)? Was this a unique problem for me
(specifying booteasy messing up the entire boot), or should this be pursued
further (whom to contact)?

Raf Schietekat, RfSchtkt@maze.ruca.ua.ac.be (NeXTmail), Flanders, Belgium
If I don't answer: my mail relay can't handle !, % or .uucp, I think

*** The year 2000 will be the last year of the 20th century. ***

e-mail in box.