Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:43:41 -0500
From:      kavitha <kavitha@watson.ibm.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, brian@utell.co.uk
Subject:   Re: DHCP & 2.1.5-RELEASE

>> The WIDE client was really nice -- I used dhcpm to monitor what
>> was going on, and dhcpc would send a request, get an acknowledgement
>> but then would choke configuring ed0.
>>
>> Anybody got anything better?

I had no problem getting the WIDE DHCP client to work. I'm running FreeBSD
2.1.5. I got the GENERIC WIDE DHCP source code and ran the patches in
current/ports/dhcp .The client works perfectly i.e, it's able to configure
itslef with the address obtained and renews the lease when it expires.
(though I had a tough time figuring out how to specify MOBILE_IP option. In
this implementaion there is no way of specifying the options either through
a configuration file or command line params. All the necessary options are
hard coded in the source code. However u can modify the source code to do
this. Its not a big job. Maybe a configuration file will be better as the
list of options can be really large.)

If ur client is not configuring properly, maynbe the BRDCAST address &
subnet_mask its recieving from the server are not proper. Check the
/etc/dhcpdb.pool (provided the server also runs WIDE DHCP) on the server
machine.

-Kavitha

>If you don't have any luck, drop me some email.  There was another
>guy looking at this that (I believe) got it working, but his name's
>on my machine at home.

BTW if I'm the person you were referring to here, I'm a girl :-).