Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 97 22:30:23 MDT
From:      johnson@charming.nrtc.northrop.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with 2.2.1 installation

Hello all,

  I just received the Walnut Creek CD set for FreeBSD 2.2.1.  I created a
boot floppy by `dd'ing' from the floppies directory onto /dev/rfd0.

  This boot floppy appears to work on an old 33MHZ 486, and a standard
Pentium-based PC.

  However, disappointingly, it fails on my laptop computer, which is the
one I wanted to upgrade to FreeBSD 2.2.1 for the PCMCIA support.

  (I am currently running 2.1.5 on these machines.)

  My machine is a 100MHZ Pentium, Compaq Armada 1125.  I get into the
installation package just fine, but several of the options cause the
computer to totally lock and become catatonic, requiring a power cycle
to reboot.

  The `Distribution' selection option causes the machine to hang, as does
the Description of FreeBSD option under Documents.

  Would it be possible to use the old 2.1.5 Intallation boot floppy, but
install the 2.2.1 system?  (I'm not sure it would be wise to try to upgrade
my laptop to 2.2.1 if the kernel and install program consistently cause the
machine to crash.  However, for curiousity I might back everything up and
try it.)

  I carefully disabled all the devices that the machine does not have.

  I guess the way to view this message is that at least one person out there
in userland tried to install 2.2.1 and it crashed and burned.

  I've installed FreeBSD several times before, and this is the first time I've
had problems like this.

Greg Johnson