Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:11:56 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc aliases

Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> wrote:
>I *don't* think they should be taken out.  They are mandated by RFC.

I don't think they should be taken out either, but they are not mandated.

1. RFC2142 is Elective, not even Recommended and certainly not Required
(see RFC2200).  Elective means basically "if you are going to do
something like this, you must do exactly this."

2. RFC2142 itself doesn't claim to apply to all hosts:

   The purpose of this memo is to aggregate and specify the basic set of
   mailbox names which organizations need to support.  Most
   organizations do not need to support the full set of mailbox names
   defined here, since not every organization will implement the all of
   the associated services.  However, if a given service is offerred,
   then the associated mailbox name(es) must be supported, resulting in
   delivery to a recipient appropriate for the referenced service or
   role.

I could go either way on the commented / uncommentedness of the aliases
in the default file, but I think it should go all one way or all the
other.

I disagree with the "it gives more ways for spammers to send to known
userids" argument if they're all aliased to "root" -- "root" is already
a well known userid.

  Bill