Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 13:30:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   LINT and GENERIC - between a rock and a generic place.

More and more people are trying to use GENERIC as a template for their
own kernels and they're losing, of course, because generic sets many
limits (like max children or open files) too low.

Unfortunately, every time this issue has come up in the past it's also
followed a rather set course, in 3 distinct stages:

1. Someone starts off the discussion with "Well, why don't we just make up
   some canned NEWS_SERVER, DESKTOP, WEB_SERVER and so on config files?
   We can put comments at the beginning of each about how the user should
   customize that file to fit certain situations and Bob's your bloody
   uncle, we're there!"

Things would probably progress well from there if it weren't for the
stage-II participants in this discussion who then come up and say:

2. "Hey, that's gross. What we really need here is a config file
   metaformat which encodes all the information in LINT in such a way
   that menus and choiceboxes and such can be build dynamically to
   configure all the items there, and if you want canned configs then
   then we just bundle them with the config tool as starter-settings
   and we don't have to clutter up /sys/i386/conf.  Say, has anyone
   looked at Linux's ``make xconfig?''

3. The discussion now veers into a debate on the merits/evils of Linux's
   kernel configurator, how config is just totally broken anyway and
   we really need to get rid of it and its lousy config files altogether,
   so on and so forth.  The first group slinks away, ashamed that they
   could have even proposed such a low-tech solution as putting more
   sample files into /sys/i386/conf.

Meanwhile, of course, the users continue to use GENERIC (or worse,
LINT) as their only available guides and they continue to walk off
cliffs, year after year.

How shall we conduct the debate this time?  Same old same old, or
something genuinely productive? :-)

					Jordan