Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:22:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john.raynor@tufts.edu
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG

Please forgive me if this question is either off-topic, or
too basic for this mailing list.

I have an old Toshiba "Satellite 335CDS" laptop, with an
"Yamaha OPL3-SA3" audio chipset.  I have, thus far, been
using the generic kernel, but since I would like to play
audio CDs, it looks like kernel customization is going to
be in my future.

Does anyone know what I have to put in the kernel
configuration file to get the OPL3-SA3 chipset working
happily?  I consulted section 15.2 of the online "FreeBSD
Handbook" and saw that although the (presumably related)
OPL-SAx chip is on list of supported hardware, the OPL3-SA3
chip is not.  Since, however, the paragraph directly above
that list clearly states that "This is not a complete
list...", I have not (yet) given up hope.

Somehow I doubt that just adding

"device pcm" is going to do the trick.  I believe there is
also a driver called "device opl".  Is that necessary?

                                               - J. Raynor