Date:      Thu, 24 May 2018 11:21:22 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>, rde@tavi.co.uk
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pause pkg install messages

Johannes Lundberg wrote on 2018/05/24 11:03:
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 9:27 AM Bob Eager <rde@tavi.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:08:17 +0100
>> Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In addition to that it would be nice (if it's not already done) to
>>> store this information in a log file somewhere so that one can
>>> revisit and see what needs to be manually configured for each
>>> installed package.
>>
>> I have this in syslog.conf:
>>
>>   !pkg,pkg-static
>>   *.*                                             /var/log/pkg.log

I think only changes are logged, not messages:

Apr 26 23:50:22 maja pkg: p5-DBI reinstalled: 1.641 -> 1.641
Apr 26 23:50:22 maja pkg: mariadb101-client upgraded: 10.1.31 -> 10.1.32_2
Apr 26 23:50:22 maja pkg: libnghttp2 upgraded: 1.31.0 -> 1.31.1

> Thanks for the tip. I'll use this.
> However, someone who knows about this probably know how to manually
> configure their system already.
>
> I want to make sure first timers and newbies don't miss important messages
> on how to configure the system.
>
> Often we get inquires about stuff that is clearly described in the pkg
> message and bug reports that are a consequence of wrong configuration.
> How can we make this more clear so that it is not missed?

As Eugene already noted - syscons has scrollback buffer. Did you tried
"Scroll Lock" on your keyboard?

If you need to re-show message of any installed package, "pkg info -D"
(or pkg info --pkg-message) is your friend. Nothing is lost. You can
view it anytime.

# pkg info -D mariadb101-server
mariadb101-server-10.1.33:
Always:

Remember to run mysql_upgrade (with the optional --datadir=<dbdir> flag)
the first time you start the MySQL server after an upgrade from an
earlier version.

MariaDB respects hier(7) and doesn't check /etc and /etc/mysql for
my.cnf. Please move existing my.cnf files from those paths to
/usr/local/etc and /usr/local/etc/mysql.

This port does NOT include the mytop perl script, this is included in
the MariaDB tarball but the most recent version can be found in the
databases/mytop port

Miroslav Lachman