Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:31:25 -0500
From:      "Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Replace SCSI Drive

Hi all,

I currently have a SCSI drive that *may* be going bad on one of my =
production servers. I have lots of backups :-)

Scenario:

The drive that is showing the occasion error, is a 76 GB Seagate SCSI =
10K spin drive. It is at the network center about 120 miles away. This =
drive is not using anywhere near 76 GB, and the server will never need =
76 GB. I estimate its using about 20 GB now.

I am at home, and have a barely used 36 GB Seagate 10K SCSI drive here, =
currently hooked up to my home (Windows XP BOX) via an Initio SCSI =
adaptor.

What I would like to do is:

Using my windows box, FDISK and set up the disk slices at home, using =
some kind of FreeBSD boot disk. I will of course, make sure there is =
enough room on each file system to accomodate the data from the other =
(going bad) disk.

Take the pristine disk to the Network Center,

Shut down all software on the machine that has the bad disk, and make =
full dumps of all filesystems on that machine (/, /var, /home, /usr) and =
move the over to the new formatted drive.

Since I have never done this before, I have some questions:

!. Can I use a FreeBSD bootable installation disk (6.4) made from an ISO =
image, to boot my PC and make the filesystems on the 36GB drive, without =
actually installing FreeBSD? (Please feel free to tell me exactly how =
:-)).

2. Once I get that drive to the network center, and restore the dumps to =
it, how do I ensure the drive is bootable? (I assume I actually do that =
in the previous step).=20

3. Is it possible to skip step one altogether and use the instructions =
in the  man pages regarding "Restoring a filesystem" and makeing the =
'Pristine' filesystem? If so, again, how do I ensure the disk is =
bootable?

Thanks a billion in advance,

-Grant.

P.S. I AM reading all the manuals and handbooks, I just can't afford to =
mess this up :-)