Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2020 08:56:39 +0100
From:      David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rust in base

Le 24/01/2020 à 21:02, Ihor Antonov a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> As I was reading this article [1] I started wondering what would it take to bring Rust into base?

That would be a very bad idea.

Rust is big beast, it does not support the same number of platforms as
FreeBSD does and is utterly complex.

Not mentioning that cargo, the package manager for Rust is built upon
the same philosophy as npm, aka having a separate module for
minimalistic functions. That means even small applications like
alacritty requires around ~50 dependencies which is totally insane.
Also, building a Rust application without internet connection is quite
hard (but still feasible).

Rust is far more complicated language to learn than C. C is so minimal
and low level that you have already almost the view of what will the
code look like in assembly when writing C, thus being the best fit for
kernel and drivers.

Don't get me wrong, Rust is a good language but it has not its place
into base which contains already too much non-mandatory things (unbound,
sendmail to quote just those).

--
David