Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:58:21 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar and nodump flag

Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de> wrote:

> Perhaps it makes sense to switch to star instead? The last version is
> Posix conform, supports extended headers and ACLs. According to the star
> developer (Joerg Schilling) GNU tar is severly broken.

Unfortunately, star has it's own share of problems:

- A highly idiosyncratic command syntax that is incompatible with
  traditional tar syntax.  I think this is a killer.
- It doesn't support incremental backups.  That isn't a problem in
  itself, but it's a feature our GNU tar currently has and people
  probably don't want to lose.
- An idiosyncratic build system.