Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:01:43 +0800
From:      Xiaodong Yi <xdong.yi@gmail.com>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing Luvalley with FreeBSD as dom0

Hi,

I confirm that I no longer have time for Luvalley. However, I will be
extreemly happy if anybody is willing to take over from me.
Especially, I quite agree to customize Luvalley for FreeBSD, through
it supports all kinds of Dom0 OSes. Howerver, I hope that the LIGHT
architecture of Luvalley could be kept. Maybe it is useful to patch
dom0 FreeBSD kernel (especially for interrupt handling), but it should
not be very complex. Part of the code comes from KVM, and I suggest to
keep flying with KVM to make sure that guest VMs work well.

Luvalley does boot and run on bare hardware.  But it does not taint
dom0 FreeBSD. Although the `non-root' mode dom0 FreeBSD kernel has
direct access to BIOS and hardware, Luvalley tries hard to coordinate
with it. For example, Luvalley traps the BIOS calls from the FreeBSD
kernel to report the modified E820 table. Another example is that
Luvalley uses NMI as the IPI interrupt to avoid conflict with BSD
kernel. And I also believe that simple patches could work if some
corners of FreeBSD kernel are tainted.

Regards, and looking forward to the following news ...

Xiaodong