Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:12:34 +0100
From:      Harald Servat <redcrash@gmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Empathy (MSN) unable to connect

2010/11/8 Denise H. G. <darcsis@gmail.com>

> On 2010/11/08 at 19:47, Harald Servat <redcrash@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >   I find that empathy (latest version available in packages) is not able
> > connect to the MSN network. It reports "Unable to connect". Another user
> and
> > myself have opened a thread about the topic in the freebsd forums but I
> > don't know if you take a look at it, this is the reason of this emai.
> >
> >   Have you find the same issues in empathy? Do you have any idea on how
> > fix them?
> >
> > Thank you very much.
>
> Hello,
>
>  Same problem here. I've googled the problem and found it perhaps is
>  not FreeBSD specific. Many empathy users on Linux platforms have
>  reported similar problems. And my solution is to use net-im/emesene
>  for MSN messaging ... though it may not be a perfect one...
>
>  It seems this has something to do Empathy dealing with MSN protocol.
>  It uses a Python library to do the job (the same one Pidgin uses for
>  MSN) but unfortunately the library does not agree with empathy in one
>  way or another...
>
> --
> If you have watched a TV series only once, and you watch
> it again, it will be a rerun of the same episode.

You're right, there are other platforms that show the same problem. I tried
the solutions they report, but none worked on my installation, that's what
make me think that this could be freebsd specific.

It looks like we'll have to wait for the next release of empathy. Meanwhile,
I'll take a look at emesene.

Thank you!

 Fry: You can see how I lived before I met you.
 Bender: You lived before you met me?!
 Fry: Yeah, lots of people did.
 Bender: Really?!