Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 21:46:40 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

In message <199510181626.MAA29751@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>The ANSI/POSIX/ISO locale model is inadequate for describing things
>like I/O in a graphical user interface. One of the deficiencies is the
>inability to describe a set of fonts to use for rendering text in an
>arbitrary locale. Another deficiency is its failure to address input
>methods, without which keyboard input in Oriental and Arabic languages
>would be all but impossible.

Well, I understand.

>Because OS vendors can't all agree on a single unified naming scheme
>it is necessary to have a mechanism to map from the various vendor locale
>names to the corresponding X name. That's all the locale.alias file is
>for.

So, it is definitely bug in locale.alias, it can't parse valid character
sets names which conforms RFC 1700.

>If you make changes like this without considering how it might affect
>the things that have dependencies on them, you pretty much get what you
>deserve. I'm sure you wouldn't make a gratuitous change like moving
>printf out of libc would you?

I simple follow existen standard for character set names, namely
RFC 1700. If X violates RFC 1700 (claiming itself as Standards Body :-)
sorry, can't resist) I don't think that it will be good to follow its
way only because it is X.

>If you're going to change your locale naming convention then you need
>to document the change where people can find it and preserve the old
>names (perhaps with symlinks) long enough that people can find either
>the changes or the documentation and make the changes necessary in
>their software to accomodate your changes.

Now I plan to patch locale.alias in XFree86 port
(by adding RFC 1700 names) and
expect that X Consortium take care of RFC 1700 in future.
Could you please pass this issue to X development team?

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -