Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2014 14:35:13 -0700
From:      "George Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "varis81@hotmail.com" <varis81@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Patches for RFC6937 and draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00

This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 3156 and 4880).

--=_MailMate_22E6F6CB-E9F5-4CCA-A2C4-34006FF62074_=

On 4 Feb 2014, at 1:38, Eggert, Lars wrote:

> Hi,
>
> below are two patches that implement RFC6937 ("Proportional Rate Reduct=
ion for TCP") and draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00 ("Updating TCP to support Rat=
e-Limited Traffic"). They were done by Aris Angelogiannopoulos for his MS=
 thesis, which is at https://eggert.org/students/angelogiannopoulos-thesi=
s.pdf.

> The patches should apply to -CURRENT as of Sep 17, 2013. (Sorry for the=
 delay in sending them, we'd been trying to get some feedback from commit=
ters first, without luck.)

> Please note that newcwv is still a work in progress in the IETF, and th=
e patch has some limitations with regards to the "pipeACK Sampling Period=
" mentioned in the Internet-Draft. Aris says this in his thesis about wha=
t exactly he implemented:

> "The second implementation choice, is in regards with the measurement o=
f pipeACK. This variable is the most important introduced by the method a=
nd is used to compute the phase that the sender currently lies in. In ord=
er to compute pipeACK the approach suggested by the Internet Draft (ID) i=
s followed [ncwv]. During initialization, pipeACK is set to the maximum p=
ossible value. A helper variable prevHighACK is introduced that is initia=
lized to the initial sequence number (iss). prevHighACK holds the value o=
f the highest acknowledged byte so far. pipeACK is measured once per RTT =
meaning that when an ACK covering prevHighACK is received, pipeACK become=
s the difference between the current ACK and prevHighACK. This is called =
a pipeACK sample.  A newer version of the draft suggests that multiple pi=
peACK samples can be used during the pipeACK sampling period."

> Lars
>

> [prr.patch]
>
> [newcwv.patch]

Apologies for not looking at this as yet.  It is now closer to the top of=
 my list.

Best,
George