Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:43:04 -0700
From:      "Peter Steele" <psteele@webmail.maxiscale.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What order are options in rc.conf processed?

We have an rc.conf file that looks something like this:

=20

ifconfig_nfe0=3D"UP"

ifconfig_nfe1=3D"UP"

cloned_interfaces=3D"lagg0"

ifconfig_lagg0=3D"laggproto failover laggport nfe0 laggport nfe1 <ip>
netmask <mask>"

defaultrouter=3D<router-ip>

ourapp_enable=3D"YES"

=20

In a recent reboot test, when "ourapp" started, it checked to see if an
IP was assigned to the system and there was not, causing it to take an
unexpected logic path. Our understanding though was that since we had an
entry in rc.conf defining the IP then our app should have started after
that IP was assigned. Is this true or is there potentially a timing
issue here?

=20