Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2019 20:48:59 -0700
From:      Frank Fenderbender <frankfenderbender@council124.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   query re: dual-boot on two separate HDDs

I bought a Dell Precision 5820 Tower  XCTO Base
	RAM:                8 slots / 128GB maximum / 16GB per slot (I =
went with 32GB)
        CPU/chipset:  Intel Core i7-9800X 3.8GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo, 8C, =
16.5MB Cache, HT, (165W, DDR4-2666 Non-ECC
	HDD: 		 (2) 3.5" 1TB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drives
	OS:                   Ubuntu Linux 16.04
	Video card:     Radeon Pro WX 2100, 2GB, DP, 2 mDP (5820T)
	Monitor:           Dell 22" - Model P2219H

I am adding the FreeBSD 12 install to the 2nd hard drive.
Often, the dual-boot instructions appear to be for a same-drive, =
different partition configuration.
I give each OS its own [whole] drive, in an attempt to assist in the =
avoidance of segmentation faults, corruptions, performance hits, and the =
like, often used by data, applications, and OS slam-dancing, as in a =
crowded "mosh pit".

So, with many well-meaning ways to botch this, I thought maybe someone =
had performed a similar sequence of steps that:
	adds FreeBSD to a second drive
	edits the GRUB/bootloader cfg file(s)

I am uncertain if Grub gets called by the BIOS call to the bootloader, =
and so, is specific to Ubuntu?
I would expect it to be dealing with partition choices on one drive, =
rather than stipulating starting a boot on another drive.=20

Examples:
	Configuring Ubuntu Linux GRUB/GRUB2 to load FreeBSD using =
partitions on one HDD
		=
https://cyberciti.biz/tips/configure-ubuntu-grub-to-load-freebsd.html
		=
https://howtogeek.com/187789/dual-booting-explained-how-you-can-have-multi=
ple-operating-systems-on-your-computer/
		=
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/dual-booting-of-ubuntu-10-10-and-freebs=
d.23101/
		=
https://linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/dual-booting-freebsd-a=
nd-linux-4175494277/
		=
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/109272/add-freebsd-to-grub2-boot-=
menu
		=
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/309964/installing-freebsd-alongsi=
de-linux
		=
https://reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/9kbuzk/how_to_set_up_ubuntu_and_freebsd_=
to_dual_boot/
		http://geodsoft.com/howto/dualboot/

Am I going to have to change the BIOS (or UEFI) boot order every time I =
want to change which OS comes up when [re]booted?
That is labor intensive, and I suspect that someone has shaken off the =
archaic ness of it with some other methods or pre-OS boot-up selection =
tool, I hope?

Isn't there a boot option key that will bring up a simple selection menu =
BEFORE one or another default OS has taken control?
Perhaps smarter firmware?
Maybe I could always have BIOS boot from a USB stick that contains code =
to toggle which is going to be considered the primary HDD,=20
acting as the director to one of two (or N) primary HDDs? I dunno, and =
reiterate, that I am currently in open eyes and ears mode.....

It seems to me that whatever is already sending the boot process to one =
drive, than that is where the change and menu need to exist, not on the =
one drive within its "default" boot OS; I do not want a default OS, if =
possible. I would like my menu to exist 'outside' of either (or "any", =
in the case of 2+ OS boot options) OS and internal hard drive.
This Dell system can handle 4 HDDs, so I could have a data HDD for each, =
keeping the OS drives clean, or add external USB HDDs along with two =
more OS internal HDDs (for instance, adding two more platforms as =
further ways of testing code for platform-independence, such as Project =
Trident, CentOS, Debian, and/or DragonflyBSD added to this and a second =
workstation).
=09
I am not telling Ubuntu's loader to look at a second possibility. I =
guess that what I want is the system's BIOS to provide the menu, read =
the OS boot selection, and load up an OS appropriately? Does that sound =
sane and possible?

I hope that my understanding of what is/can be done is near-to-correct, =
and if not, appreciate steps (or a URL) that educates me and shows me a =
path of steps) which provides a near-traceover for setting this up.

As to the FreeBSD, I am going with the Auto-UFS [non-ZFS/] default =
install to avoid complicating things with dependency issues, following =
the selections listed in Michael Bernal's "A Comprehensive Installation =
& Configuration Guide to the BSD Variants" (2018):
	Welcome screen:			Install
	Keymap selection:		Continue with default keymap
	Set hostname:			*******
	Optional components:		[  ] Base system (debugging)
							[  ] Additional =
Documentation
							[  ] Kernel =
(debugging)
							[x] Ports tree
							[  ] System =
source tree
							[  ] Test suite
	Partitioning your disk(s)	[x] Auto (UFS) Guided Disk Setup
	Selecting the entire disk	[x] Entire disk
							[  ] Partition
	Selecting a partition scheme
	NOTE: 	I am unclear re: 'GPT vs. MBR'?
			All my Mac internal and shared USB drives are =
set up as GPT.
			I do not trust Apple w/anything except running =
fashion shows, denying/ignoring bug=20
			existences, and refusing both QA & pre-release =
testing
			Their "FAT32" is nowhere compatible with that =
used by Linux and Windows,=20
			but this is not an Apple claiming their "MBR and =
GPT methodology is correct, so...
			So, your suggestions/advice is appreciated for =
this selection....

							[  ] APM - Apple =
Partition Map
							[  ] BSD - BSD =
labels
							[  ] GPT - GUID =
Partition Table					<<<		any =
[dis]advantages ??
							[  ] MBR - DOS =
Partitions						<<<		=
any [dis]advantages ??
							[  ] PC98 - NEC =
PC9801 Partition Table
							[  ] VTOC8 - Sun =
VTOC8 Partition Table

	Review your partition setup
							[x] Finish

	Commit changes or revert & exit
							[x] Commit
	Installation process begins
	Enter password:
							*************
	Select network interface to configure
							[OK] there is =
only one NIC
	Configuring IPv4 & DHCP
			Configure IPv4?	[Yes]
			Use DHCP?		[No]
			Static IP address	*.*.*.*
			Subnet Mask		255.255.255.0
			Default Router	*.*.*.*
							[OK]
	Recursive name servers	208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220
	Region					[2] America - North and =
South
	Select country or region	[49] United States of America
	Time zone				[21] Pacific
		NOTE: 	I am unclear re: two options here, so opinions =
will help
	Service to start at boot	[  ] Local caching validating =
resources			<<<		any [dis]advantages ??
							[x] Secure shell =
daemon
							[  ] PS/2 mouse =
pointer on console
							[  ] Synchronize =
system and network time		<<<		any [dis]advantages ??
							[  ] Adjust CPU =
frequency dynamically if supported
							[x] Enable =
kernel crash dumps to /usr/crash
	System hardening options
							[  ] Hide =
processes running as other users
							[  ] Hide =
processes running as other groups
							[  ] Disable =
reading kernel message buffer for unprivileged users
							[  ] Disable =
process debugging facilities for unprivileged users
							[  ] Randomize =
the PID of newly created processes
							[  ] Insert =
stack guard page ahead of the growable segments
							[  ] Clean the =
/tmp filesystem on system startup
							[x] Disable =
opening Syslogd network socket (disables remote logging)
							[x] Disable =
Sendmail service
	Finishing up (order of options presumes that the step returns =
until exited...)
							[4] Apply =
configuration and exit installer
							[1] Add a user =
to the system
							[  ] Change root =
password
							[  ] Set system =
hostname
							[  ] Networking =
configuration
							[  ] Set daemons =
to run on starting
							[2] Set security =
options
							[  ] Set system =
timezone
							[3] Install =
FreeBSD Handbook (requires network)

If there are 'dual-boot' setup steps before and/or after the FreeBSD =
install, please indicate them, as well as their place in the overall =
sequence.=20
If you prefer to confer offline, than that is fine by me. Just send me a =
direct email and we can avoid a back-and-forth Q&A stack of email that =
may arise,=20
Thanks very much. ;-)

chris
frankfenderbender@council124.org