Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2018 01:53:21 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   dependancies and the ports that depend on them

My system has no X11 window system of any sort on it, it is simply a =
server which I (or anyone else) only interact with via the command line =
or by accessing a service like http or mail.
And yet, there's a lot of x11 packages installed.

I'd like to find out what packages depend on the many x11 packages that =
are installed. I know that quiet a few are under apache25, despite there =
being no mention of x11 in make config:

=E2=80=A6www/apache24/# make WITHOUT_X11=3Dyes NOPORTDOCS=3Dyes =
NOPORTEXAMPLES=3Dyes all-depends-list | grep x11
/usr/ports/x11/xcb-util-renderutil
/usr/ports/x11/libxcb
/usr/ports/x11/xcb-proto
/usr/ports/x11/libXau
/usr/ports/x11/xorgproto
/usr/ports/x11/libXdmcp
/usr/ports/x11/xcb-util
/usr/ports/x11/pixman
/usr/ports/x11/libX11
/usr/ports/x11/xtrans
/usr/ports/x11/libXext
/usr/ports/x11/libXrender
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig
/usr/ports/x11/libXdamage
/usr/ports/x11/libXfixes
/usr/ports/x11/libxshmfence
/usr/ports/x11/libXxf86vm
/usr/ports/x11/libXi
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/libXt
/usr/ports/x11/libSM
/usr/ports/x11/libICE
/usr/ports/x11/libXtst
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/dejavu
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/mkfontdir
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/mkfontscale
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/libfontenc

So, I'd like to figure out which features (make config toggles) are =
responsible for these requirements so i can see if they are things that =
can be disabled.

For example, one thing listed is libX11, so I do

pkg info -r libX11
libX11-1.6.6_1,1:
        gdk-pixbuf2-2.36.11
        libXdamage-1.1.4_4
        libXxf86vm-1.1.4_2
        mesa-libs-18.1.5
        cairo-1.14.8_2,2
        libXcomposite-0.4.4_4,1
        libXcursor-1.1.15_1
        libXinerama-1.1.4_1,1
        libXrandr-1.5.1_1
        gtk-update-icon-cache-2.24.32
        libXpm-3.5.12_1
        gtk2-2.24.32
        vim-8.1.0342
        libXt-1.1.5_2,1
        libXext-1.3.3_3,1
        libXfixes-5.0.3_2
        libXi-1.7.9_2,1
        libXrender-0.9.10_2
        libXtst-1.2.3_2
        openjdk8-8.181.13
        openjdk-7.161.01,1

So now I have to go through each of those to see which one might be =
required by apach24. Within a coupe of steps you are checking a hundred =
packages.

Is there som way to say "I want to search everything that requires =
libx11 all the way up the tree of dependencies until we match apache24, =
then show me that chain.

(so, for example, if apache24 is set to require libfoo99 and libfoo99 =
requires bobsport and bobsport requires libXfoo which requires libx11

I get:

apache24 <=3D libfoo99 <=3D bobsport <=3D libXfoo <=3D libx11

when I search for something like "libx11 in apache24"

--=20
Penny, I'm a physicist. I have a working knowledge of the entire
universe and everything it contains.