Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:59:19 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of pf / firewall in FreeBSD ? - does it have one ?

On 23 Jul 2014, at 20:41 , Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2014-07-23 16:38, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> On 23 Jul 2014, at 15:42 , Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> Taking this discussion slightly sideways but touching on this thread =
a=20
>>> little, each of our packet filters will need nat66 support too. Pf =
doesn't=20
>>> support it for sure. I've been told that ipfw may and I suspect =
ipfilter=20
>>> doesn't as it was on Darren's todo list from 2009.
>>=20
>> our pf does support IPv6 prefix rewriting quite nicely and has for =
years.
>=20
> Bjoern: What IPv6 stuff does our pf not do well?

I think the most pressing, as Peter said, is fragment handling, though a =
good fraction of major content providers seems to do mss clamping to a =
min IPv6 mtu on IPv6 and drop fragments at the edge (not much different =
to IPv4, which makes you wonder?).    Whoever is clever will think of =
how many different queueing and fragment handling implementations we =
need in the kernel, and how often we have to do it on an end node that =
might also run a firewall,  pick one we have, turn it into a library =
thing, apply it to all places, and then add the latest IETF suggestions =
on top of it.

There was (is?) another case that in certain situations with certain pf =
options IPv6/ULP packets would not pass or get corrupted.  I think no =
one who experienced it never tracked it down to the code but I am sure =
there are PRs for this;  best bet is that not all header sizes are equal =
and length/offsets into IPv6 packets are different to IPv4, especially =
when you scrub.

Apart from that my knowledge of pf is diminishing.

=97=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983