Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:41:51 -0600
From:      Adam <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 10:58 AM Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to import mksh in base, https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm
> And make it the default root shell (not necessary in one step)
>
> Why:
> 1/ it is tiny 400k (in the packaged version) all other shells fitting the
> expectation are bigger
> 2/ it's default frontend in interactive mode is very close to what most
> people
> are used to with bash and shells as default root shell on other BSD and
> most
> linuxes
> 3/ from my narrow window csh as a default root shell is one of the major
> complaint (usually the first thing a user get faced to) from new comers and
> also for some long timers who are reinstalling a machine and have not yet
> installed/configured a bourne compatible shell
>
> What this proposal is _NOT_ about:
> 1/ the removal of tcsh from base
> 2/ any kid of denial of the quality and interest or features of csh
>
> What do you think?
> Best regards,
> Bapt

I do not wish to have a bash like root shell since imo its interactive mode
isn't that great.  I don't think conformity is a great argument for change
in this regard.  I don't see any other advantage to this change.  I could
be wrong but I also think it might be incorrect to say bash is the default
root shell on other BSD's.

If there is some change to the root shell, I'd rather see it to be zsh
which does have a good interactive mode.

--
Adam