Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2013 22:09:37 +0200
From:      Daamn M <daamn.m@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing ports for different versions of Python

Hi,

Sorry if I'm asking a question that have been asked many times but I
couldn't find an answer using google.

I need to install few version of Python (at least 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3). I
really appreciate that FreeBSD let me have many versions the same time. But
I have a problem when I need some third party library. It turns out that I
can have only one instance.

For example: I have installed python 2.7 and then port py-someport. Then I
installed python 3.3 and set PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION to point python 3.3. If
I try to install port py-someport again I wll get an error message saying
that an older version is already installed.

The way a port is registered in the database suggest that there could be
more than one version. I mean: port py-someport is registered as
py27-someport when installed for python 2.7.

Now I copy ports adding versio prefix. For example to install py-someport
for version 3.3 I copy the port as py33-someport. I works pretty well but I
don't find it a clean way.

Could you help?

Thanks in advance

Regards,