Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:13:04 +0400
From:      Stanislav Zaharov <root.vagner@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFS root filesystem and static binaries size

Hello,

I have a question regarding the mfsroot file system organization on
installation cd.
How is it possible that we have bigger binary files in ls list while actual
occupied space is less. But when we try to copy these files on similar
filesystem using cp or dd the actual used space is bigger?

For example when we mount mfsroot image we get:

$ df -h /mnt/

Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 /dev/md0      3.9M    3.3M    534k    86%    /mnt

 $ ls -lhs /mnt/stand
  766 -r-xr-xr-x  30 root  wheel     3M 10 apr  2012 dhclient
  766 -r-xr-xr-x  30 root  wheel     3M 10 apr  2012 cpio
  766 -r-xr-xr-x  30 root  wheel     3M 10 apr  2012 camcontrol
  766 -r-xr-xr-x  30 root  wheel     3M 10 apr  2012 boot_crunch

But:

$ du -hc /mnt/stand
3,2M    total

But if we copy these files onto another UFS filesystem we really consume
the space:

$ cp -a /mnt/stand /tmp/stand

$ du -hc /tmp/stand
 91M    total

How is it possible and why does it matter for mfsroot?

TIA

--
Respectfully,
Stanislav Putrya