Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:16:34 -0600
From:      Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
To:        by <by@meetlost.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Build nvi 2.1.3 on Mac, missing build instructions

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 7:52 PM, by <by@meetlost.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use nvi on my Mac, and after I =E2=80=98brew install nvi=
=E2=80=99, I found
> the version is 1.81.6, not the latest.
>
> I know the version of nvi in freebsd head is 2.1.3 now, so I checkout
> that, and trying to build it myself.
> But I found there is no build/ directory under nvi/, and I know there is =
> build/ directory with nvi-1.79, and the link is:
> https://sites.google.com/a/bostic.com/keithbostic/vi/

You suddenly mentioned 3 forks of nvi --
nvi-1.79, nvi-1.8x, and nvi2-2.x.y :/

Long story short,

How can I build the nvi package? It is under base/head/contrib/nvi
> directory. Maybe any Makefile or build instructions under upper directory=
?

among those, only nvi2 is using CMake as
its build system, so if you just want to build it
by yourself,

  https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/wiki/Porting

is a good starting point.  FreeBSD base
commits generated headers to usr.bin/vi