Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2013 09:31:48 +0800
From:      Ganbold Tsagaankhuu <ganbold@gmail.com>
To:        Christoph Roland Murauer <christoph_murauer@yahoo.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Cubieboard 2, UDOO and Galaxy Note 10.1 (Exynos).

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Christoph Roland Murauer <
christoph_murauer@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I am new to FreeBSD - so, sorry if I ask something which others already
> asked.
>
> At the moment I use a iPad and the personal hotspot function (tethering)
> on it to provide internet access to my Mac Book Pro. The connection is done
> by the USB cord (also to charge the battery).
>
> My question is now, is it possible to run FreeBSD on a Cubieboard 2 (
> http://cubieboard.org/2013/06/19/cubieboard2-is-here/)

As for cubieboard2, FreeBSD runs on it, however just basic stuffs.
Cubieboard2 has dual Cortex-A7 SoC, but SMP support is not there yet so it
is slow. You could try 3G usb dongle and usb wifi on it, but you have to
have powered usb hub, since cubieboard has only 2 usb ports. It may or may
not work depending from those drivers availability.

> or the comming UDOO board (http://shop.udoo.org/pre-order/udoo-quad.html)
> to have a gateway / firewall on this device and between the other 2 devices
> ?

UDOO seems to have i.MX6 SoC which support is not in src tree yet, although
ian@ is working on it iirc.

> I don't want to run a full system (including GUI) on it - ok, if it works
> why not. I look for a solution to connect the iPad over USB on the one side
> and the Mac Book Pro over Ethernet on the other side to share a 3G internet
> connection. It is no solution to install a dual boot system on my Mac Book
> Pro and also not to use WIFI instead of the USB cord.
>
> My second question is, is there developing planned for the new / comming
> Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition) with the Exynos 5420

As for Exynos, iirc we have basic support of Exynos 5250 (arndale board), I
don't know how that is different than 5420.
But please note that if I'm correct we don't have FreeBSD with graphics
running yet on any tablet.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Ganbold