Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2014 13:05:06 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        desktop@freebsd.org, "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Story of a laptop user

Hi,

These should be wiki pages. Like the thinkpad wiki has for Linux. I'll
go add pages for the T42, T60, T400 and X230 if you add yours.

So:

* iwn ; yeah, its crap. nothing I can do about that.
* volume controls - we need to teach the acpi_ibm and/or keyboard
driver about them. For example, they plain do nothingon the X230 I
have. The T60 - it adjusts the global mixer. The T400 - it adjusts the
current app volume (eg, when in vlc it adjusts vlc.) It isn't
consistent or useful.
* the brightness keys - is this occuring because you have acpi_ibm
loaded? I have a feeling the root problem there is again to do with
the ACPI DSDT and acpi_ibm / acpi_video adjusting the wrong bits. My
T400 suffers the same. Can you install the acpi_call package and
search the archives for the posts that say what to do?
* .. and when you create the wiki page for your laptop, would you
please upload the acpi dump? (acpidump -dt > /tmp/blah.txt) That way
we can see what parts of the tree(s) it's attaching things to.
* same with devinfo -v

Thanks,

-a