Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:10:41 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "A. D. Sharpe" <demetrioussharpe@netscape.net>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subdirectories for devfs

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM A. D. Sharpe via freebsd-drivers <
freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know of a simple way to reorganize /dev contents into
> subdirectories based on the category of the device by manipulating
> devfs.rules & devfs.conf? I'd like to remove device nodes from /dev &
> reorganize it to look something like this:
>
> /dev/audio
> /dev/bus
> /dev/graphics
> /dev/input
>
> ...and so on.
>
> Or is this something that would require extensive changes to the driver
> sources?

Would require changes to both driver sources as well as to the programs
that use the driver nodes for different things. The effect of that will
vary from "hack one place in the code" to "extensive changes are needed in
dozens or hundreds of locations, many out of the tree".

What's the motivation?

Warner