Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:47:41 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stressing malloc(9)

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 10:09=E2=80=AFAM Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> =
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 11:23:41AM -0600, Alan Somers wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 9:07=E2=80=AFAM Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.or=
g> wrote:

> > > What is the size of the allocations that g_eli_alloc_data() is doing?
> > > malloc() is a pretty thin layer over UMA for allocations <=3D 64KB.
> > > Larger allocations are handled by a different path (malloc_large())
> > > which goes directly to the kmem_* allocator functions.  Those functio=
ns
> > > are very expensive: they're serialized by global locks and need to
> > > update the pmap (and perform TLB shootdowns when memory is freed).
> > > They're not meant to be used at a high rate.
> >
> > In my benchmarks so far, 512B.  In the real application the size is
> > mostly between 4k and 16k, and it's always a multiple of 4k. But it's
> > sometimes great enough to use malloc_large, and it's those
> > malloc_large calls that account for the majority of the time spent in
> > g_eli_alloc_data.  lockstat shows that malloc_large, as called by
> > g_elI_alloc_data, sometimes blocks for multiple ms.
> >
> > But oddly, if I change the parameters so that g_eli_alloc_data
> > allocates 128kB, I still don't see malloc_large getting called.  And
> > both dtrace and vmstat show that malloc is mostly operating on 512B
> > allocations.  But dtrace does confirm that g_eli_alloc_data is being
> > called with 128kB arguments.  Maybe something is getting inlined?
>
> malloc_large() is annotated __noinline, for what it's worth.

> > don't understand how this is happening.  I could probably figure out
> > if I recompile with some extra SDT probes, though.
>
> What is g_eli_alloc_sz on your system?

33kiB.  That's larger than I expected.  When I use a larger blocksize
in my benchmark, then I do indeed see malloc_large activity, and 11%
of the CPU is spend in g_eli_alloc_data.

I guess I'll add some UMA zones for this purpose.  I'll try 256k and
512k zones, rounding up allocations as necessary.  Thanks for the tip.