Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:31:20 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@freebsd.org>, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keymap definitions for VT / NEWCONS

On 13 August 2014 03:02, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I have renamed the files to 2-character ISO country code names, and
> have used the form "fr_CH.kbd" (instead of "swisscfrench.iso.kbd")
> where there are several locales within a country.

This sounds good to me.

> Unresolved:
>
> - Shall keymap names for countries where language and country are
>   identical (e.g. "pt.kbd") be converted to "pt_PT.kbd"?
>   (I'd say yes ...)

We already had ua.kbd and pl.kbd and I just now brought over the
??.iso.kbd files before catching up on this thread.  It seems
reasonable to me to use only the language code unless we need to be
more specific.

> - In the example of Switzerland, "swissgerman.kbd" becomes "de_CH.kbd".

Sounds good to me.

>   * Do we want to add "ch.kbd", too?
>   * Should it be a symlink to one of the other keymap files (the
>     majority of the Swiss population would use de_CH, I guess)
> That would imply, that for every locale selected by a user, there
> is a matching default keyboard.

I wouldn't worry about this unless there's a precedent in X11 or the
Linux console.

> And after all these normalizations have been performed:
>
> - How do we deal with accented versions of keymaps?
>   (Those with ".acc." in their names ...)

I think we can just bring them over as ??.acc.kbd once we've verified
they work as expected.

> - Do we keep all those variants that only differe in the handling
>   of the Caps-Lock key (which often is mapped to an additional
>   Control key)?

I don't see why not.

Oh, one other point: I'll add a stripped-down share/vt/INDEX.keymaps
shortly, and we can add new entries there as we bring the keymaps
over.  We'll also need UTF-8 encoded translations of the names.

-Ed