Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2014 23:14:58 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@freebsd.org>, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Keymap definitions for VT / NEWCONS

On 13 August 2014 18:59, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:

> And I think it is better to use locale names in any case. The
> selection logic has to be there for locales, why complicate
> matters by introducing 2-letter names, which in fact match
> the 2nd half of a locale name when country code and language
> code don't match (as in "en_US.kbd" vs "us.kbd").
>
> I think we should provide keymap files under the same names
> as the locale names (less the encoding).

But there isn't a 1:1 mapping between locales and keyboard maps, since
we have to deal with some special cases (like dvorak).  We should let
the end user independently choose the language (for interacting with
the installer), keymap, and locale anyway, even though in most cases
there is a straightforward mapping between them.  So I don't think it
makes much difference if we have a keymap called fr.kbd for example,
or a different name.

> We'll need a mapping file (like "INDEX.keymaps" for syscons),
> I assume.

I wouldn't necessarily call INDEX.keymaps a mapping file; it's just
used for the menu-driven keymap selection.  I think we can use the
exact same scheme and file format for vt(4).

> The keymap names are not consistent, as it is now. If we agree,
> that names without ".acc." are "nodeadkey" variants and with
> ".acc." have dead keys for accents and the like, then for some
> locales the ".acc." version will be "normal" and expected by
> users, while its the plain version for other locales.

Are you proposing that we have a combination of *.kbd, *.acc.kbd, and
*.nodeadkey.kbd variants, depending on which type is the common /
expected case for various layouts?

> That's why I suggested to follow some other system (e.g. Windows)
> use of accent keys / dead keys. Users in the respective locales
> will know and expect the keyboard to behave just this way.

I think it's important to make a distinction between the way the user
selects a keymap, and the filename.  In the common case I think users
will choose a layout from a menu, and won't necessarily see or care
about the filename.  I'm not sure what contemporary Windows versions
do with respect to keyboard selection - can you describe the process
it uses?

> And it is really annoying to see my efforts wasted! :(

I don't think any of your effort is wasted -- my commit was just an
svn copy of the 8 trivial kbd files, as I thought you were working
only on the keymap files needing conversion for Unicode.  Anyhow,
changing the naming scheme (if we want to do that) isn't a big deal.
We'd have to deal with pl.kbd and ua.kbd already.

-Ed