Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 2020 00:46:39 +0000
From:      Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Porting Practice

I have gotten a couple of emails from portscout about ports that need updat=
ed and maintained. Before I go about updating and maintaining these ports I=
 wanted to do some practice on a couple that I use like x11/nvidia-settings=
. I have recieved alot of help on the forums and from the documentation, bu=
t i'm still at a loss as to how the diff process works. Also, i've gotten s=
tuck at a few spots along the way. I use svn to checkout a copy of the nvid=
ia-settings port which has no maintainer. The copy goes into my root direct=
ory either in a work directory or not. After I make the changes to the file=
s and issue the command...

MAKE CONFIG:root@machine17:/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings # make config
=3D=3D=3D> No options to configure

make patch and make configure both work.

PORTLINT:root@machine17:/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings # portlint
WARN: Makefile: Consider adding support for a NLS knob to conditionally dis=
able gettext support.
0 fatal errors and 1 warning found.

So once I get past this point and have succesfully tested the port with por=
tlint and poudriere testport, I'm confused as to how I am supposed to build=
 the package, and create a suitable diff to patch the port either with svn =
or diff -u.

The documentation for (diff -u) says "To create a suitable diff for a singl=
e patch, copy the file that needs patching to something.orig, save the chan=
ges to something and then create the patch:"
% diff -u something.orig something > something.diff

Im not sure really the meaning of this documentation. What file needs patch=
ing, which file to copy, where to save changes to exactly, and how and why =
the svn method is different. Which method should I choose? I know it says t=
hat unified diff and svn are preffered but since I am new maybe the (diff -=
u) command would be easier to begin with? Please help and include anything =
that's relevant even if i didn't mention it. I'm really excited to get star=
ted and will absorb like a sponge any know how that's offered!!!

One last thing. I have not attempted a poudriere testport today but for the=
 last ten or so times I have tried, my computer shuts down after a few minu=
tes of testing. Is this a overheating or is it some kind of another problem=
?=