Date:      Tue,  5 Nov 96 11:23:40 Pacific Standard Time
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz"  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, Veggy Vinny  <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet modem by Metricom

> > > 	Oh okay, had you actually seen any of their antennas before?
> >
> > Yes.  They are all over campus.  Little black boxes on the roof. :)
> > And we have a repeater outside my dorm here:  a little white box with
> > antenna hanging down attached to the light pole.
> > The new phase modems have a larger antenna too which really helps
> > connectivity.
>
> 	I wonder if the Ricochet modems will be faster later on since the
> modem can do up to 100kBps but if you're on the campus and only see
28.8k
> then their claim isn't true.

According to the info I have on my Ricochet moden their _network_ is
100kbps, not the modems.  So it is easy to get low speeds in an area
where there are lots of modems sharing the same 100kbps channel.

-Sean
Sean J. Schluntz                                  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Manager, Support Services                        ph. 408.997.6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation                    fx. 408.323.2300
6155 Almaden Expressway, Suite 100
San Jose, CA.  95120                             http://www.pinpt.com/

Local Time Sent: 11/05/96 11:23:41