Date:      Fri, 22 May 2020 15:15:01 +0100
From:      "Norman Gray" <norman.gray@glasgow.ac.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Documentation and debugging for NFSv4

Greetings.

I'm having difficulty finding consistent documentation and debugging =

tools for NFSv4.  Is there some handbook-like source that I'm missing?  =

Or some layer of documentation for configuration or debugging that I've =

failed to find?

I've never had major problems with NFS and the associated RPC services, =

but I currently find myself in a situation where some combination of v4 =

exports from FreeBSD servers (11.3 and 12.1) and heterogeneous Linux =

clients is behaving in a rather inconsistent way (in a context where I =

can't just reboot everything in sight, which often sorts out NFS =

problems...), and I'm having great difficulty diagnosing the current =

service status: is server A offering what I think it is? is client B =

asking for what I think it is?  Normally some combination of netstat and =

tcpdump would make some headway, but SunRPC is blacker magic than that.

Oddnesses include the handbook [1] not mentioning NFSv4 at all, neither =

starting up NFSv4 support (with nfsv4_server_enable=3DYES) nor mentioning=
 =

V4 in exports.  It's therefore hard to be sure what counts as good =

practice here.

nfsv4(4) is comprehensive, which is good, but exports(5), though =

comprehensive, is sometimes far from clear.  Also, nfsdumpstate(8) =

refers to 'the NFSv4 experimental server', which isn't reassuring, and =

the state which it dumps is clearly low-level and not illuminating.  I =

anticipate visiting bugs.freebsd.org with some docbugs, once I'm more =

confident I know what 'correct' is.

I see with rpcinfo that program 100003, for NFS, advertises versions 2 =

and 3, but not 4, and I can't work out, from any manpages I can find, =

whether this is correct or not.  Pages I can find on the web seem to =

suggest that I ought to expect to see a version 4 here (though these are =

mostly referring to Linux NFS servers), and RFC 3530 ([4] page 266) does =

seem to mention a version 4 identifier associated with program 100003.  =

But relevant posts on the FreeBSD forum (eg [2, 3] from 2012 and 2018) =

illustrated apparently working configurations which advertise only =

versions 2 and 3.

Would the forum be a better place to ask, than here?

Any advice warmly received,

Norman

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-nfs.html
[2] =