Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:42:39 -0700
From:      "Childers, Richard" <RCHILDER@hamquist.com>
To:        "'Anil Jangity '" <aj@entic.net>, "'freebsd-security@freebsd.org '" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: weird w report?

"I have a weird user logon."

<ahem>

I don't mean to sound like an old grouch, here, but trouble reports that are
not accompanied by simple ASCII cut-and-paste examples of the 'here's what I
do, here's what I see' variety are worth almost nothing.

If you (not you, Anil, but the second person, generic 'you') can't be
bothered to take this small effort to facilitate the efforts of others to
assist you, then how can you expect others to expend any effort to help you
resolve your problem ??

Here's an example:

    When I run the command 'foo -bar blat' I get an error.

(That's where the usual description cuts off. The professional reporter of
system problems would continue:)

    Here's what I see:

    root@spam.vax.com # uname -s -r
    FreeBSD 2.2.9-RELEASE                             (-:

    root@spam.vax.com # which foo
    /usr/bin/foo

    root@spam.vax.com # file `which foo`
    foo: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand-paged executable

    root@spam.vax.com # foo
    Usage: foo [-[abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz] file [file]

    root@spam.vax.com # ls -l ./blat
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root bin 123 Feb 29 04:01 ./blat

    root@spam.vax.com # foo -bar ./blat
    ERROR: No such file or directory '.'

We can take it one step further:

    root@spam.vax.com # foo -bar ./blat ; echo $status
    ERROR: No such file or directory '.'
    4

Now, *there's* a diagnostic description ... the person(s) on the receiving
end now know your operating system version, the path to the executable, the
way you are using it, the type of file being run and the type of file the
utility is being run on, and, not just the error message, but the return
status of the command, as well.

This is important for the person reporting the problem, as well as the
person resolving the problem; because it is an opportunity to become a
better-informed customer, and because it is the first step to becoming
independent of those more knowledgeable than oneself, as one grows into the
role of being more knowledgeable, oneself, through experience ...

-- richard