Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:31:39 -0700
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Centos and ZFS

On Oct 15, 2013, at 3:08 AM, Johan Hendriks wrote:

> aurfalien wrote:
>> On Oct 12, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
>>=20
>>> It may very well be an LSI firmware issue. What are the firmwares =
for
>>> those HBAs?
>> Upon doing this;
>>=20
>> sysctl -a | grep mps
>>=20
>> I get this;
>>=20
>> dev.mps.0.driver_version: 14.00.00.01-fbsd
>>=20
>> LSIs site mentions the latest drives at being 17.00.00.00
>>=20
>> I'll go ahead and install the latest to see what happens.
>>=20
>> Whats the best way to do this, I assume build it and load via =
loader.conf?
>>=20
>> - aurf
> The way i do it is from FreeBSD itself.
> I did it on FreeBSD 9.0 and 9.2, never did it on a 9.1 or 10 Current. =
I also never did it on cards other then the 9211-8i LSI cards.=20
> So do not hold me responsible if things go wrong :D
> If things go wrong it can damage the card so it has to be put in for =
RMA
> Download the firmware, and the sas2flash file for FreeBSD=20
>=20
> Then i do the following
> =20
>=20
> myrootonzfs ~ # ./sas2flash -listall
>=20
>=20
Rather then up the driver in FreeBSD 9, (I tried and it didn't go too =
well anyways) I left it at v14 and down graded the firmware.  While the =
Intel rebranded LSI controllers were stuck at an older Intel version, I =
decided to make them all v14 of the LSI firmware.

Throughput has improved a bit and it seems more consistent in terms of =
test results.

So the key here in FreeBSD is to match firmware with driver versions.  =
Linux didn't seem to care but all OS's have there nuances so I'm not =
concerned.

In terms of flashing the firmware, I had to do it via EFI using the =
-force flag.  Even though v14 didn't have an EFI tool , v17 did so I =
used it while specifying v14 firmware file.

But a note on the Linux comparison;

While I mimicked my values on both platforms, I did not mimic all =
values.

ZoL comes with a little interesting feature; arc2 compression, which =
does seem to enhance performance all around.  I disabled this in CentOS =
to level the playing field.

There are several other things I saw on ZoL which seem very new and more =
in line with ZFS on FreeBSD 10.

So I installed FreeBSD 10, set up my prefs as before but performance =
were very close to FreeBSD 9, which were both lower to ZoL in CentOS.

I've attached my IOzone results in zipped xls format if any one is =
interested.  I'm still baffled as to why CentOS has substantially better =
results.

* Concerning the graphs;
Scales are all set equal to allow for easy comparisons.
Values to the right are avg file sizes in my env;

8MB
12MB
16MB
30MB
53MB
2GB

At any rate, I'm hoping some one could help solve this performance =
discrepancy.

I suppose a dump of my hardware list and ZFS properties are in order but =
only if any one is interested as I don't like typing in vein :)

Thanks in advance,

- aurf