Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 2020 02:07:16 +0000
From:      "Stephan, Corey" <corey.stephan@marquette.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Raspberry Pi 4 8GB: Boot Hang, (Simple) Workaround?

Hello, fellow open source fans. I am attempting to install FreeBSD on a =0A=
new Raspberry Pi 4 8GB, but I simply cannot get the device to boot. The =0A=
latest Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian), NOOBS, etc. all work. The Pi's =0A=
firmware and BIOS are up-to-date. The SD card is new, stable, and passes =
=0A=
verification tests.=0A=
=0A=
Tried: 13.0-CURRENT from Dec-10, 13.0-CURRENT from Dec-03, 12.2-RELEASE, =
=0A=
12.2-STABLE, and 12.1-RELEASE images for the Raspberry Pi 3 (RPI3 images =
=0A=
are recommended in the FreeBSD Wiki: =0A=
https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Raspberry%20Pi)=0A=
=0A=
FreeBSD 12-series does not show a boot screen at all, but I more-or-less =
=0A=
expected as such, since the RPI4 8GB is known to be WIP in 13-CURRENT. =0A=
With 13.0-CURRENT, I reach the boot screen, but I am greeted with the =0A=
following 2 error messages:=0A=
=0A=
Error 00000044=0A=
=0A=
This device requires newer software.=0A=
=0A=
I have read in the FreeBSD subreddit that this has to do with the =0A=
FreeBSD SD card image's bootloader being out of date.=0A=
=0A=
Does anyone have FreeBSD working on the RPI4 8GB?=0A=
=0A=
Other: The only advice about this that I have read involves rebuilding =0A=
the FreeBSD SD card image. That is above my knowledge. Moreover, of =0A=
course, I am sure that the aim of everyone here is to bring FreeBSD to =0A=
this popular testing and learning platform :)=0A=
=0A=
Thank you in advance, everyone. Cheers,=0A=
Corey=0A=