Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:14:08 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PIPE_BUF

I've been looking at the Apache code for doing buffered writes to
logs, which it attempts to do in such a way that log records are not
split across buffer boundaries. It therefore buffers up to PIPE_BUF
bytes to be written in one go.

Unfortunately, on FreeBSD this doesn't win us much because our log
format averages over 200 bytes and PIPE_BUF is only 512 bytes, so
we'll only be writing at most a couple of records at a time. Other
systems have PIPE_BUF sizes like 4K (Linux), 5K (Solaris), and 10K
(IRIX).

What do I need to worry about if I rebuild the system with a bigger
PIPE_BUF?

(Actually, I don't really care about the buffer boundary thing so if
changing PIPE_BUF is painful I'll just compile Apache to use a bigger
buffer regardless of PIPE_BUF.)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  dot@dotat.at  fanf@demon.net