Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:14:46 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        george@ceetonetechnology.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some ideas on Tim's script

On Jan 30, 2013, at 6:24 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
>=20
> But first, with 8G images, I had to adjust the config.sh's SD_SIZE =
below 7900 for Kingston SD Cards to fit.  I can give more specifics if =
desired.  Anyone else experience that?

I have a bunch of different SD cards around here -- different
sizes, different manufacturers -- and I think every one is
50MB-100MB smaller than the advertised size.

> In terms of /etc/fstab, I think adding tmpfs to the kernel would be =
useful.  Without it, using md(4) for /var/log, /tmp and /var/tmp is =
certainly a nice way to minimize disk writes.

How well does this work on a machine with only 256MB RAM?

> It might also make sense to add rc_debug=3D"YES" and rc_info=3D"YES" =
to the default /etc/rc.conf.  Most users are testing right now, and it's =
only logical for the pool of people hacking on them.

I wasn't aware of those options; I'll add them.

One of my wish-list items is to figure out how to buildkernel
with a config file stored outside of /usr/src.  Then it would
be possible to have a kernel config as part of the
beaglebsd setup files, separate from the config in /usr/src
that seems to be optimized for kernel debugging.

> And maybe to add the relevant ntpdate(8) settings to /etc/rc.conf.

Has anyone tried running ntpdate from devd?  So that when/if
the network interface initializes, ntpdate gets run at that point.
That would avoid the tedious delay if there's no network at
boot time.

Tim