Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2016 09:25:06 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <doug@mail.sermon-archive.info>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need advice for setting up mail server

> On 7 August 2016, at 08:52, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 15:24:48 +0000
> Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> fo
>> r me, the thing has to be easy to set up and maintain, rather than =
worry
>> too much about eavesdropping/MITM. Thanks for any advice. Manish Jain
>=20
> 	I found it simplest to set up two MTAs (in jails) one for =
outgoing
> mail (allows relay from inside the LAN only, uses my ISPs SMTP server =
as a
> smarthost) running exim (I found it easy to configure) and one for =
incoming
> mail (sendmail delivering via procmail and spamassassin to dovecot for
> IMAP).
>=20
> 	Separating the two directions made it very easy to think about =
the
> security of the configuration.

I recently switched a small business mail server from sendmail to =
postfix with dovecot.  It wasn't real simple, but it went together quite =
easily.  The wiki pages for both are extremely good.  I used one =
instantiation of postfix as it handles security quite well.  You =
designate which networks are trusted (local) and everything else is not. =
 You can set it up using dovecot's authentication so that remote users =
can be trusted also.  There apparently is also a tool to enable the user =
to maintain their sieve configuration via a browser although I have not =
tried that yet. =20

I found it best to use dovecot's MDA from postfix so that pigeon sieve =
could be used during delivery.  That gives you features like vacation =
and automatic delivery to inboxes other than INBOX.  I did the initial =
setup one step at a time.  Get it working then add the next feature.

You do need to figure out which type of authentication you want at the =
beginning.  I used password file authentication as the number of users =
and turnover was not enough to warrant any of the more flexible =
approaches.  Both postfix and dovecot are dependent on the =
authentication.  Using dovecot's authentication for postfix made the =
setup a lot easier as you only have to get authentication working once.

For machines other than the mail server, I used postfix setup to forward =
all mail to a smart host.  That way the log files are all in the same =
format.  You will want to decide how to store the log file on the MTA.  =
I went with syslog into the same file for both postfix and dovecot.  =
That makes it a bit easier to trace what happened to a particular =
message.  I did have to add additional fields into the logging format =
for both though.  That was probably the most difficult configuration =
item.  It took awhile to figure out which log format is used for which =
situations.