Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:25:02 -0400
From:      "Don Bowman" <don@sandvine.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Cc:        michael@fuckner.net
Subject:   FreeBSD-AMD64 on Xeon MP

On Mon Aug 11 21:23:58 UTC 2008 John Baldwin wrote:
>On Monday 11 August 2008 11:25:01 am Michael Fuckner wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > I try to run FreeBSD-7-AMD64 on a Quad Xeon (Xeon MP 7320) and 32GB
RAM.=20
> > The Board is a X7QC3 by supermicro and the installation is done on=20
> > another system, updated and plugged to this system. So I have a
drive=20
> > with 7-STABLE compiled today.
> >
> > The last line I see from dmesg is vga0- then the system freezes.
> >
> > Anyone using a similar configuration or knows what could be wrong? I

> > still have some days left to play with it, before this box gets
shipped=20
> > to the customer.
>
> It is probably waiting for a config intr hook to complete.  rwatson@
recently=20
> added some code to HEAD to help with debugging hangs there.  That
patch=20
> probably applies directly to 7.x and would be helpful in determining
what is=20
> hanging.

So I have debugged this down (same board), using 32-bit kernel.
I have found it is hanging reading from the UHCI controller (register
0x10).
I am using HEAD.

In uhci_root_ctrl_start(), in case C(UR_GET_STATUS,
UT_READ_CLASS_OTHER):, it does:
x =3D UREAD2(sc, port);

now, this translates into a read from 0x3090 [UHCI base address is
0x3080, offset
is 0x10 for the PORTSC0 register.

I debugged this down by putting printf() in. I can't really fathom why
that read would hang, does anyone have a suggestion on where to go next
debugging?

The chipset on this board is 631xESB/632xESB ICH.

I tried putting a call to uhci_dumpregs() there, it hangs as well. So my
assumption
Is that a read to 0x3080 is hanging.

Anyone have any suggestions?

System has 4 XEON MP processors, Intel 7300 chipset, 1GB of RAM,
motherboard is described
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon7000/7300/X7QC3.cfm
The IPMI is not installed.