Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2018 19:07:28 -0800
From:      C Gray <frankfenderbender@council124.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   a rant about soundcards and its endless dead-time

So, I ordered the Creative Sound Blaster Live! SB0060:
	a) it is an accepted EMU10K1 chipset;
	b) it is listed as supported in FreeBSD's snd_emu10kx(4) driver =
<https://freebsd.org/releases/11.1R/hardware.html#sound>;
	c) it does not state PCIe x4 or x8.
	d) =
<http://txmicro.com/creative-labs-sound-blaster-live-pci-sound-card-sb0060=
/>> is a typical listing,=20
	    usually found leading to dead web pages, a loss-leader, or =
an no-return Amazon store.

	=95 Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! PCI Sound Card =20
	=95 General Features:
	=95 Interface: PCI
	=95 E-mu Systems, Inc. EMU10K1 chipset
	=95 64-voice hardware polyphony with E-mus patented 8-point =
interpolation technology
	=95 48 MIDI channels with 128 GM & GS compatible instruments and =
10 drum kits
	=95 Support for real-time digital effects like reverb, chorus, =
flanger,
	=95 pitch shifter, or distortion across any audio source
	=95 Capable of processing, mixing and positioning audio streams =
using up to 131
	=95 available hardware channels
	=95 Accelerates Microsoft DirectSound and DirectSound 3D
	=95 Processes bit resolutions from 4-bit to 16-bit
	=95 Processes sample rates from 5kHz to 48kHz
	=95 Hardware full duplex support enables simultaneous record and =
playback at
	=95 8 standard sample rates
	=95 Utilizes AC 97 Audio Codec
	=95 Supports Sound Blaster MIDI and MPU-401 modes =20
	=95 On-Board Connectors:
	=95 Line in
	=95 Microphone in
	=95 Line Level Out (front) / Headphone Out
	=95 Line Level Out (rear)
	=95 15-pin MIDI / Joystick port
	=95 Telephone Answering Device In
	=95 MPC-3 Analog CD Audio In
	=95 MPC-3 AUX Audio In
	=95 SPDIF Audio In =20
	=95 Sound Card Only (no drivers or software are included)

The search string for a card for a system only 78 years old shows how =
little the throwaway anti-ecology=20
"high tech" (more like "high toxin") industry has people willingly =
expecting. The "high" stands for high profit-margin as the only =
motivation.

My search will never find anything, esp. given that the search engine =
war went to a company hell-bent on refusing the world use to its own =
history, knowledge, and tools:
	"Creative Sound Blaster Audigy" AND ("EMU10K2" OR "CA0100" OR =
"CA0101") AND "PCM" AND "MIDI" AND ("PCIe x4" OR "PCIe x8" OR "PCI-X")

I was sent the following:
Cards do NOT fit and run in any slot if the slots and card inserts are =
kept in the "need to know" zone.

False advertising and planned obsolescence run the industry.
That isn't why I got my ASCST and BSCS degrees in the late 1980s.

I have standardized slots for in my Dell PowerEdge T300 server as =
follows:
   slot 1:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x4 with x8 connector
   slot 2:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x4
   slot 3:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x8
   slot 4:    3.3-V, full-length PCIe x8
   slot 5:    3.3-V, full-length PCI-X

The technology may have switched, like Apple changing connectors or the =
"hit factory" music industry changing media, however, the programs are =
worse, the computers die from bad 1/2-cent capacitor placement next to =
heat sources, and the music gets more PCfully-banal every day.

So, I guess I choose "none of the above".
I'll program w/o that whiney noise droning from some narcissist's =
beefed-up genderless lips.
Soundcards, like the "open" Apples of the II+ era, memory management, =
platform-independent programming, quality assurance, and scientific =
search engines have all been murdered because they hurt someone's =
feelings no doubt.

The FreeBSD list needs to actually be based in less of a Venn-diagram =
abstract and more in a list or real card models numbers which have been =
verified, but that would be documentation and QA, and science. This 1984 =
world of 2+2=3D5 with all of its labor-instensive "convenience" gives us =
the delusion of wisdom when we reinvent the ball over and over and =
over... and quite by accident.

For me, it's a choice: smash the hell out of this useless card as was =
done in "Office Space" to that mind-numbing printer error programmer in =
effigy, or, spend more life time pretending I'll solve anything besides =
building up Jeff Bezos' bank account and social control by circling =
(x,y)=3D(0.0) in flatland, the zero-sum of "high tech".

My question about sound?
How sound is it to ruin the future by deleting the past before its =
shadow even climbs out of bed?
I save money in my fleeting past to pay for stuff that lasts a shorter =
and shorter period BY POLICY.
The old Apple people put their feet down and started manufacturing their =
own cards when tech pimps kept reducing support and manuals for what you =
just paid for until you are buying something already outdated or broken =
by design.
At times like these I am embarrassed to have worked in this field and =
very sorry I decided to write software at all.

Sound depressed? Yes.
I apologize for the rant but working w/o a voice is slavish.
Have a better weekend than I,
chris